Suspicious Packages Safety
In recent years, terrorists have shocked the public by planting or mailing packages containing explosives and biochemical weapons, to be unleashed on unsuspecting victims. Protect yourself and others from devastating damage by knowing how to identify, report, and react to suspicious packages.
Identify Suspicious Package or Envelope
- Be wary of unattended boxes or packages left in a public area. Look for objects out of place, such as a backpack left unattended on a train, or an unopened package left on a street in an area with heavy pedestrian traffic. Report your observations to security services or law enforcement.
- Carefully examine any unexpected letter or package that arrives in the mail. Dangerous deliveries are often characterized by the following:
- Lack of a return address
- Excessive postage
- Labels such as "confidential"
- Foreign labeling
- Heavy, excessive tape and/or packaging
- Incorrect titles or misspelled words, suggesting the sender is not a trusted contact
Report Unsafe Packages
- Immediately notify the nearest security officer or contact law enforcement if you notice a suspicious package in a public space. Swift action could prevent a dangerous situation from escalating to a harmful one.
- Take the following actions if you receive a questionable package in the mail:
- Do not panic
- Handle as little as possible and with extreme caution
- Do not smell or touch the package or envelope
- Contact security services personnel or law enforcement immediately
- Stay clear of the object and isolate it from others
- Remember that killers and terrorists can use poisons or infectious diseases to attack their victims in addition to explosives. Avoid touching or inhaling unfamiliar packaged substances, and wash your hands and any other exposed skin thoroughly if you do.
- Record names and information of all who may have come into contact with a hazardous package.
- Evacuate the area once an alert is issued for an unsafe package, and alert all others nearby.
- Be wary of your surroundings and suspicious individuals as well as suspicious packages—identifying the culprit is vital to preventing further damage to people and property.
About U.S. Security Associates
U.S. Security Associates (USA) is one of North America's largest security companies, with 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations to customers in a range of industries. Recognized for world class customer service, leading-edge technology, and an enterprise approach to risk management, USA offers optimized security solutions to meet specific customer needs. USA is committed to building quality security and risk management programs that are Safe. Secure. Friendly.® The Securing Knowledge series is part of the extensive and growing library of reference and training tools that contribute to USA's award-winning customer service and benchmark security programs. USA's investment in training and development resources is reflected not only by BEST Awards from the American Society for Training & Development, consistent ranking on the Training magazine Top 125, and technology-driven quality management system, but also by the company's leadership team, security officers, and service excellence on a daily basis.