Safety Tips for Working After Hours
Working late is sometimes unavoidable, but you can take steps to avoid running into danger after hours. Follow these basic safety practices before you stay late, while you work, and when you leave.
Before Working Late
- Let a friend, family member, or coworker know that you are staying after hours. Be sure to let someone know how late you plan to stay.
- Inform a security officer that you are working after hours.
- Use the ‘buddy system,’ and coordinate plans with a coworker to work after hours together.
- Park your car in a well-lit area close to your building’s exit.
- Make sure you have safety essentials on hand, such as a flashlight, batteries, and a first aid kit.
- Know the emergency plan for your workplace. If your company does not have one, suggest making one.
- Know where all of your building’s exits are.
While Working After Hours
- Never reveal to a stranger that you are working alone. If you suspect someone is lurking about, immediately alert a security officer.
- Have your phone with you at all times. Avoid walking alone through the building.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Report any flickering lights, broken locks, etc.
When Leaving Work After Hours
- Close and lock your office door in accordance with company policy.
- Try to leave at the same time as someone else.
- Ask a security officer to escort you to your vehicle, if this service is available at your workplace.
- If you stay after hours and are responsible for locking up the building when you leave, confirm that no one is left in the building, and check that all doors and windows are closed and locked per company policy.
- Check inside and around your vehicle before entering, and immediately lock the doors after getting in your car.
- Tell someone that you are on your way home.
About U.S. Security Associates
U.S. Security Associates (USA) is one of North America's largest security companies, with 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations to customers in a range of industries. Recognized for world class customer service, leading-edge technology, and an enterprise approach to risk management, USA offers optimized security solutions to meet specific customer needs. USA is committed to building quality security and risk management programs that are Safe. Secure. Friendly.® The Securing Knowledge series is part of the extensive and growing library of reference and training tools that contribute to USA's award-winning customer service and benchmark security programs. USA's investment in training and development resources is reflected not only by BEST Awards from the American Society for Training & Development, consistent ranking on the Training magazine Top 125, and technology-driven quality management system, but also by the company's leadership team, security officers, and service excellence on a daily basis.