Choosing a Home Security System
Nothing disrupts one’s sense of comfort and security quite like a home break-in. Statistics show that a burglary occurs in roughly one in twenty homes each year, but homeowners can lessen the likelihood of victimization and guard against violence and theft by choosing and using the right security system.
Selecting a Company
Research local home security system providers to ensure you choose the most reputable and cost-effective company.
- Ask potential security service providers if they are members of a state or local burglar and fire alarm association. Members of these organizations are required to adhere to an established ethics code and rigorous service guidelines.
- Make sure each company you contact is licensed with your state, and call your local Better Business Bureau to find out if there are any outstanding complaints.
- Decide where you want your alarm units positioned prior to your installation appointment. Consider consulting a security service expert to pinpoint undetected vulnerabilities in your home.
- Request estimates in writing, and read over contracts to be sure you are receiving the security services you expect.
Operating Your System
- Learn how your system works as soon as it is installed. Make sure everyone in your household learns how it functions as well.
- Take care when arming and disarming your system; false alarms can hinder the efficacy of local law enforcement and security officers. Some municipalities issue fines for excessive false alarms.
- Activate your alarm system even while you are home; this provides the best protection and deterrent to theft and violence.
Choosing Home Alarm Add-Ons
Consider the following extras for your home security system.
- Alarm window screens contain a wire that triggers an alarm when removed or cut.
- Pressure doormats detect unauthorized footsteps and can be hidden under rugs.
- Remote and hard-wired panic buttons summon emergency services with the covert push of a button.
- Glass break detectors react to the sound of breaking glass with an alarm.
- Light timers give the appearance of an occupied home by switching lamps on and off automatically.
About U.S. Security Associates
U.S. Security Associates (USA) is one of North America's largest security companies, with 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations to customers in a range of industries. Recognized for world class customer service, leading-edge technology, and an enterprise approach to risk management, USA offers optimized security solutions to meet specific customer needs. USA is committed to building quality security and risk management programs that are Safe. Secure. Friendly.® The Securing Knowledge series is part of the extensive and growing library of reference and training tools that contribute to USA's award-winning customer service and benchmark security programs. USA's investment in training and development resources is reflected not only by BEST Awards from the American Society for Training & Development, consistent ranking on the Training magazine Top 125, and technology-driven quality management system, but also by the company's leadership team, security officers, and service excellence on a daily basis.