Environmental Friendliness in the Workplace
Workplaces are full of opportunities to conserve energy and resources. Make Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. your official workplace mantra. Follow these environmentally friendly tips to make sure that your workplace is as green as possible.
- Use double-sided printing to conserve paper.
- Encourage recycling by placing recycling bins in the office kitchen and in the copy room or next to printers.
- Strive for a paperless office. Avoid printing out handbooks, manuals, policies, and announcements. Keep them online for employees to access.
- Eliminate unnecessary waste by using air dryers in bathrooms instead of paper towels.
- Shred and reuse paper products. Shredded office paper can be used as packing insulation if moving or shipping items.
- Buy post-consumer recycled paper.
- Avoid color printing when possible, as it generally uses more ink.
- Buy recycled toner and ink.
- Join a recycling program for the toner you do use.
- Minimize your usage of air conditioning and heat.
- Use fluorescent lightbulbs to conserve energy.
- Have a policy that requires lights to be turned off when a room is empty.
- In areas such as storage rooms, install motion sensor lights.
- Use skylights and windows for natural light. This will cut on down on artificial light and reduce your electric bill.
- Turn off all printers, computers, monitors and other electrical equipment that doesn’t need to be left on.
- Check that computers and monitors are set to their most energy efficient settings.
- Recycle e-waste. Partner with an organization that recycles old cell phones, printers, fax machines, etc.
- Create a carpool program.
- Offer bike parking.
- Create incentives for employees to use environmentally friendly methods of commuting. Examples include walking, biking, and carpooling.
- Offer telecommuting.
- Offer filtered water and reusable cups instead of bottled water.
- Use low-flow water faucets and toilets.
Get the Team Involved
- Organize environmentally friendly team building events like planning trees locally or sponsoring and creating a community garden.
About U.S. Security Associates
U.S. Security Associates (USA) is one of North America's largest security companies, with 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations to customers in a range of industries. Recognized for world class customer service, leading-edge technology, and an enterprise approach to risk management, USA offers optimized security solutions to meet specific customer needs. USA is committed to building quality security and risk management programs that are Safe. Secure. Friendly.® The Securing Knowledge series is part of the extensive and growing library of reference and training tools that contribute to USA's award-winning customer service and benchmark security programs. USA's investment in training and development resources is reflected not only by BEST Awards from the American Society for Training & Development, consistent ranking on the Training magazine Top 125, and technology-driven quality management system, but also by the company's leadership team, security officers, and service excellence on a daily basis.