College Campus Safety: Residence Halls
College is an exciting time of life, when you have the opportunity to make new friends, have new experiences, and enjoy new freedoms. As you explore your new environment, do not take your personal safety and security for granted. When living in campus residence halls, remember the three Cs: Closed, Confidential, and Cognizant.
- Always close and lock the door when you leave your room, even if you’ll only be gone for a few minutes. A few minutes are all a thief needs to slip in and steal valuables.
- Be sure to secure all windows before leaving your room.
- Keep your room key on a key chain; a loose key in a pocket is easily lost.
- Check the peephole before opening your door – even if you are expecting someone.
- If you suspect that an intruder has been in your room, do not touch anything, and call campus security immediately.
- Do not put any personal information on key rings.
- Do not leave your belongings in community storage areas like cubby holes. Keep your belongings with you at all times.
- Be aware of who is around you, and do not let strangers follow you into the residence hall.
- If you see a suspicious person or vehicle, immediately contact campus security.
- Travel in pairs or groups whenever possible, particularly at night.
- Stay away from dimly lit or isolated areas.
- If you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, request that a campus security officer escort you to your destination.
- Apps like SafeTrek are another personal security option. When walking through an unsafe area, you can activate GPS tracking by pressing a button on the SafeTrek app. After reaching safety, you let go of the button and enter a 4-digit code to deactivate the GPS tracking. If a code is not entered within 10 seconds of releasing the button, the police are automatically called.
About U.S. Security Associates
U.S. Security Associates (USA) is one of North America's largest security companies, with 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations to customers in a range of industries. Recognized for world class customer service, leading-edge technology, and an enterprise approach to risk management, USA offers optimized security solutions to meet specific customer needs. USA is committed to building quality security and risk management programs that are Safe. Secure. Friendly.® The Securing Knowledge series is part of the extensive and growing library of reference and training tools that contribute to USA's award-winning customer service and benchmark security programs. USA's investment in training and development resources is reflected not only by BEST Awards from the American Society for Training & Development, consistent ranking on the Training magazine Top 125, and technology-driven quality management system, but also by the company's leadership team, security officers, and service excellence on a daily basis.